So as I sat to do some work rather nervously on this piece today, I began to realise a thing or two along the way. Firstly this painting style is really an illusion. When you sit on top of the painting it doesn’t look much at all. But when you step back away from the painting and look at it from a distance it looks reasonable good. I was nervous because in step three I realised that what you do with the painting changes the painting dramatically and colours become very important.

So the first step in the tutorial I had to do today was to make up a glazed mix of Ultramarine Blue and Alizarin Crimson. Then with only one stroke I had to go back over my trees to re set them in again. I also added in a few more and then did the same with the reflections.








The next thing I did was made up another glaze of the same mix. I then used the mix to scribble in bits and pieces above the water’s edge and then again the reflections making sure to go in under the water’s edge doing both horizontal and vertical strokes.










Then I had to make up a new glaze using a tiny speck of Alizarin Crimson and Indian Yellow until I got almost and red/orange brown look, which I scribbled in here and there again, mainly above the last glaze and of cause, did the same with the reflection.










Using the Ultramarine Blue and the Indian Yellow I made up a darker green glaze not to runny and just in the places where it looked to need a little more colour scribbles it in and under the water line I bushed it on horizontally to make a band under it but being sure not to disturb the previous reflections too much.











Then using the Ultramarine Blue and Alizarin Crimson I made up another glaze this time more of a dark blue. Holding the brush side on to the canvas and only using the tip of the brush I added a stroke to each of the trees to re establish them once more and then repeated this on the reflections.






Using the same mix I ten added a little here and there making sure not to overdo it as it can be very powerful and the changes happen fast. I applied it to the op and then also in the reflections.
Now I made up what Robert calls a “Scumble Mix” again with Indian Yellow, Ultramarine Blue and White mixed them slightly with the pallet knife and then picking up some white and part of the scumble mix added in some light. I also reflected it in the water.








Then with the paint that was on the pallet I made up a dirty looking wash and brushed it over the bottom of the canvas filling in the gaps but being sure not to disturb the previous reflections too much.





This was all for step three I now have to sit and let it dry totally once more.

0 comments: